Discussion Mailing List FoldingBoatBuilders - dedicated to the building of folding boats
Folding boats -- canoe, kayak or otherwise -- had a first golden era in Europe at the beginning of the twentieth century. A second period of glory began in the late 1940s and well lasted into the era of hard shell paddleboats, which began to be mass-produced in man-made materials in the 1960s.
A rebirth of interest in the "craft", the term referring both to the folding boats themselves and to the art of building them, is currently under way in various parts of the world. This mailing list has the purpose of giving fellow enthusiasts a forum for the exchange of ideas, techniques, designs, tips and tricks, as well as a means of updating each other on current projects, of asking for advice and to benefit from others' experiences, whether they be successes or failures. We would welcome it, if the list were also to serve as a collection point for historical information!
Messages posted to the FoldingBoatBuilders list will be included in the FoldingBoatBuilders archives, hosted on the PouchBoats web site. We intend eventually to combine the features of this mailing list with the "Amateur Folding Boat Builders Corner" (AFBBC), the section of the PouchBoats discussion forum dedicated to the art of building folding boats. For the time being the forum, as well as the AFBBC web page hosted by PouchBoats are our chosen repository for project pictures and designs you may wish to publish. Also, the AFBBC will feature material in connection with Mr. Lorenz Mayr's "Handbuch für Faltbootbauer" ("A Folding Kayak Builder's Primer"), a the revised, enhanced and translated edition of which is currently under production by the undersigned.
Given the subject matter and the type of persons likely to participate, we abstain from creating elaborate rules for the form and content of contributions, nonetheless here are a few points to bear in mind:
- By posting to FoldingBoatBuilders, you agree to allow FoldingBoatBuilders to include your messages on the PouchBoats website in archival or digest form.
- Furthermore, we will assume, unless you specifically inform us to the contrary, that contributors agree that contents of their messages be used on the AFBBC page in edited format or in revisions and additions to the Folding Kayak Builder's Primer in the interest of all enthusiasts.
- When referring to another subscriber's quotes, only include the quotes relevant to your message. Please edit accordingly.
- If you have a JPEG or GIF image you would like to post, please do so via the forum at www.PouchBoats.com, or by sending it directly to webmaster@PouchBoats.com for inclusion on the AFBBC page. Do not send JPEG or GIF images to the list.
- Blatant commercial promotion and advertising, especially when not concerned with the subject matter of this mailing list, will be rewarded with the draconian measure of ending the subscription of the party concerned and the strong suggestion to the assembled subscribers that the offender be "shunned". However, it is likely that subscribers will welcome news of any products that are likely to help them with various aspects of crafting folding boats. In this sense we encourage potential suppliers of such products to participate in the discussions. Also, a simple by-line in your signature stating the name of your business and contact information is of course perfectly acceptable.
do not forward copyrighted materials to the list since this has the potential
of raising legal concerns and may entangle us all in unnecessary complications.
- Email addresses may not be collected from FoldingBoatBuilders posts for the sending of unsolicited advertisements or unsolicited bulk email (UBE, UCE, spam) whether commercial or not.
- FoldingBoatBuilders posts and subscriber email addresses may not be reproduced or redistributed outside the FoldingBoats list without the permission of the author.
Disclaimer: All material is copyright by the original author.